[cairo] Cairo developers conference call 2004-10-19 18:00 UTC

Paul Sladen xr at paul.sladen.org
Sun Oct 17 17:09:59 PDT 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> On Friday 15 October 2004 08:46 am, Ravindra wrote:
> Although I agree that something is needed, I feel that the only thing wanted
> is non-anti-aliased horizontal and vertical 1-pixel thick lines. I do not
> like the idea of turning antialising on/off.

Just as it is in GL, what about AA a piece of state.  Instead of thinking in
terms of 'on' and 'off', perhaps in terms of 'fast' and 'faster';
'accurate' and 'less accurate'.

> My preference is to have the line width control, when set to zero,

I like this.

> An alternative is to have a different "stroke" call that does this.

The effort to check for zero (1 compare and 1 branch) is mimimal compared
with the drawing.  Presenting a uniform interface to the user (developer),
I feel is more important

> I do not believe there is any desire for aliased diagonal lines or fonts, as
> they look like crap when compared to the aliased output.

Users (developers) are not stupid.  If the user (developer) wants something,
it is Cairo's job to provide it---not question their need.

	-Paul
--
Is there no safe way to travel?  London, GB