[cairo] A hidden offset for the xlib backend

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Sep 7 11:35:06 PDT 2004

Around 9 o'clock on Sep 7, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> If this is going to be done, maybe we should implement the entire NeWS
> interface, where a surface is created using the current transformation and
> clipping path.

This is why I thought it might be reasonable to place this in the
xlib-specific part of the API.  Other backends might want something like
this (I can easily imagine a GL backend wanting a projective
transformation, for instance).

> However I don't understand why GTK can't just do
> cairo_translate(ct,-event.xoff,-event.yoff) before calling the widget drawing
> functions.

Because those translations are visible through the API.  We could, of
course, insist that all GTK cairo users "know" the appropriate offset,
but that seems to place the burden in the wrong place.

-keith