[cairo] Image format independent API?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Apr 5 10:43:12 PDT 2005

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:16:09 GMT, DANIELLLANO wrote:
> Why is cairo exposing a image format dependent API instead exposing an
> interface that's image format independent.
> So instead having functions like:
> cairo_png_surface_create
> have format independent functions:
> cairo_surface_create

We've had the cairo_image_surface_create functions since before any
PNG code landed in cairo. The cairo_png_surface was just a convenience
around the cairo_image_surface stuff, making it simpler to write PNG
image.

But, we've come up with a better approach for that convenience, which
is to just use cairo_image_surface, (or any other surface for that
matter), and then call cairo_surface_write_png. So cairo_png_surface
no longer exists in cairo as of what's in the latest version in CVS.