[cairo] Re[2]: Cairographics on win32

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Thu Apr 7 14:17:52 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 16:11 -0400, Carl Worth wrote:

> But, third, and most important, I really don't like the idea of
> putting a build structure into the main cairo source tree that
> hard-codes away backends with no reason. The PS, PDF, and XLIB
> backends are all quite portable and should work just fine on the win32
> platform.
>
> I'd really prefer to advertise build systems that by default compile
> all backends possible, and optionally allow the user to selectively
> inhibit the compilation of some backends.

 - The PS surface should be removed, IMO, but does build fine on Win32

 - The PDF surface needs some work on fonts before it will work on
   Win32 with the native font backend.

 - I see no virtue in compiling the Xlib backend on Windows.

I'm not really aware of any "smart" build systems other than
autoconf.... build systems that can build based on available
software.

For non-smart build systems, I don't think the default should be
"build everything, force the user to unconfigure what doesn't work".
I think it should be "build it the way we'd expect it to be
configured typically". And the typical Win32 build is definitely
not going to include the Xlib backend...

Regards,
					Owen