[cairo] Cairo license obligations

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 8 22:58:22 PDT 2005

Hi -

I hadn't looked at the COPYING file in Cairo for a long, long time and
so when I did by accident today I was horrified to find out that Cairo
is no longer distributed under the MIT license.

Since I am not familiar with the implication sof of LGPL or MPL (which
seem to be the two available options) I am wondering what exactly the
practical implications of choosing either license are.

I am in particular interested in a situation where Cairo is part of a
"reusable larger system" (similar to Mono) where the "parent" system
should be distributed under MIT.

In the past, this wasn't an issue at all but now I wonder if this is
even possible? If so, what are the obligations that one has to fulfill,
and how would one do so?

Any pointers to *practical* advise on how to deal with these issues
would be very welcome (please don't tell me to read the license - I have
and it doesn't help at all).

Cheers,
   - Andreas