[cairo] Implementing GUI with Cairo

Jared Thirsk jthirsk at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 17 14:49:32 PDT 2005

On a related note, FYI, I'm planning on making a GUI with Cairo as
well.  I haven't planned too much yet, but the concept is to make a
general purpose MindManager-like (a professional mindmapping
software) interface with a 3D backend.  (I love MindManager, but
Minority Report's GUI lends a little inspiration too.)

I intend to use Ogre as a backend (www.ogre3d.org), which is a premier
open-source graphics engine supporting both DirectX and OpenGL in
Win32/Linux(and I think OSX).  I know about Glitz, but I'm planning
on using this to develop games using Ogre and also act as an in-game
GUI.

I have also partially ported GTK+'s GDK to Ogre, but with Cairo, and
my mindmapping GUI ideas, I don't know whether GTK will play a role
in my master plans.  (...which are ambitious and maybe insane, but
probably no more insane than making a hobby OS ;-). )

Keep up the good work on Cairo!

Cheers,
Jared