[cairo] Mozilla on Cairo

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Apr 21 17:51:26 PDT 2005

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:23:03 +1200, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> I've got Cairo-based Mozilla into a barely usable state.

Hey, that is fantastic news. Well done! Is cairo rendering everything
in the screenshot, or just the main content pane?

> Most of the glitches visible are probably bugs in the glue code. The poor
> performance is a bit more of a concern. We'll be looking into that.

Yeah, that's to be expected. Fortunately, the API Shakeup is wrapping
up now, so performance will be the next priority in preparation for
the cairo 1.0 release. There have been a couple of spot fixes for
performance already, but we've never done any serious performance work
on the system as a whole. So, I'm optimistic that we'll be able to
improve things a _lot_.

> Also, this page doesn't really show it, but we are running into the problem of
> antialiased fills causing artifacts where two shapes share a
> non-pixel-aligned edge. I really want to add a mode to cairo_t that turns
> antialiasing off. What are the chances that that would be accepted?

We could add such a thing, (David Reveman even made a patch and sent
it to the list once). But for this particular problem, I'd be much
more inclined to implement (or accept a patch for) a full-scene
antialiasing surface. The overall quality wouldn't be as good as
standard cairo antialiasing (for scenes without the seam problems),
but it would solve the seam problem in a way that would look a lot
better than disabling antialiasing completely.