[cairo] Gtkmm widget for GtkCairo

Øyvind Kolås islewind at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 01:05:59 PDT 2005

On 4/22/05, Rick L Vinyard Jr <rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu> wrote:
> If anyone is interested I have wrapped the gtkcairo library using
> gmmproc into a library named gtkcairomm that provides a
> Cairo::DrawingArea widget for use with gtkmm.

If it is possible to integrate this into the build enviroment of
GtkCairo in a clean way, that will build it if gtkmm is present, and
ignore it at other times, it would be a welcome addition.

It would also be possible to import the library into CVS, please be
aware the gtkcairo is a transient solution while we wait for native
integration in gtk+.

> Also, what is the status on C++ wrappers for Cairo itself?

The cairoxx module in CVS haven't changed for 12 months, and what is
there seems to only be an initial skeleton that have been abandoned.

>Is there any  interest in setting up something similar to gtkmm using gmmproc?

One of the nice consequences of a C++ wrapper for cairo would be that
it makes automatic generation of bindings using SWIG easy. This would
make it possible to automatically make OO bindings for a lot of higher
level languages. The main problem with this approach is that you often
have to settle with a binding that doesn't fell fully native for the
language in question.

I'm not experienced with bolting C++ on top of C, but my experience
with the ruby binding is that the size of the cairo API is small
enough to warrant manual binding to make the integration be as neat as
possible.

/Øyvind K.

--
Software patents hinder progress | http://swpat.ffii.org/