[cairo] Topaz

dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de
Thu Apr 28 22:00:06 PDT 2005

> I am trying to write a quartz like api, that would do the same jobs for
> *nix
> as quartz does for Mac OS X, ie be the graphics engine and the windowing
> system.
>
> I had the idea of using Cairo, Gltz, Enlightenment, and ?  this is the
> part
> I need help with.

For rendering only, Cairo as API seems to be rather similar to the
GraphicsCore API, at least before the latest API changes in Cairo.
Glitzt as backend seems reasonable, even if I haven't checked it out.
I am not quite sure how enlightenment matches. From what I understand,
they do their own thing with evas as canvas API, which don't uses cairo.

I think what is missing is everything related to actual window management
and event handling. You also need toolkit support, something like Cocoa or
Carbon on Macs, in order to get application support. Perhaps you could
look at Gnustep?

Seems like a rather huge task to me.

Regards
Dirk