[cairo] Disabling antialiased shape drawing

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Thu Aug 4 12:41:52 PDT 2005

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 15:25:52 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> That doesn't make a "value" judgment. We could even reuse the existing:
>
> typedef enum _cairo_antialias {
>     CAIRO_ANTIALIAS_DEFAULT,
>     CAIRO_ANTIALIAS_NONE,
>     CAIRO_ANTIALIAS_GRAY,
>     CAIRO_ANTIALIAS_SUBPIXEL
> } cairo_antialias_t;

This was an idea I had as well.

> Used for fonts. Pro for reuse:
>
>  - Having two similar but different enums is a recipe for people to
>    pass the wrong one
>  - Save types

Agreed.

> Con for reuse:
>
>  - Not clear how meaningful SUBPIXEL is for this. Subpixel geometry has
>    some definite challenges.

Ah, but I'd put this one in the Pro list. It'd be odd now, since we
don't have subpixel geometry yet. But subpixel geometry is definitely
something I've wanted cairo to be able to do eventually.

There are definitely the weird problems that crop up with destination
alpha, but we already have that with subpixel text.

And if there are challenges that are unique to geometry as opposed to
text, then if nothing else, this is something I want to play with and
learn more about.