[cairo] Making pixman a detail

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Aug 10 11:58:23 PDT 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 10:09:27 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> The reason I left the 'pixman' structure intact was to make it a bit
> easier to split pixman back out when it's ready to stand on its own. I
> don't think it will be that long, and I wanted to preserve its separate
> ChangeLog and make the different license very clear to developers.

Oh, I had forgotten about ChangeLog. That is an important one.

> I agree it's a bit confusing to have multiple src/ directories; I'd like
> to preserve the cairo/src directory as that makes it possible to extract
> old versions of cairo correctly. That leaves us with changing the
> pixman/src directory name, which seems fine to me. I'd like something
> other than 'pixman' though

Well, if we regard this all as a temporary hack to let us create cairo
1.0 without having pixman 1.0, then maybe the current approach is the
right thing. Once we split pixman back out again, cairo/src and
pixman/src become fine names again. And, as you point out now, our
pathetic versioning tools discourage us from mucking with the names
too often.

> > What am I missing to make that work?
>
> As long as the files get rebuilt with the new pixman.h, it should 'just
> work'. Do you have the Makefile.am patch that includes pixman in the
> include path?

Ah, I did have that, but I had to tweak it just so:

	-INCLUDES = -I$(srcdir) $(CAIRO_CFLAGS) -I$(top_srcdir)/pixman/src
	+INCLUDES = -I$(srcdir) -I$(top_srcdir)/pixman/src $(CAIRO_CFLAGS)

This is another fine argument for libraries to install header files
into their own sub-directories, such as ${prefix}/include/${pkg}
rather than just throwing them into ${prefix}/include. We had fixed
cairo to do that, but apparently never fixed pixman.

> I'm not sure the extra noise would really help all that much.

I guess this Requires.private thing is really orthogonal now.  If we
were relying on it to hide -lpixman from applications, I think I'd
care more about requiring the new pkg-config to enable this.

So, the patch looks good to me, (minus the pixman bug-fix, the
libpixman in cairo.pc.in, and with the change above). Why don't you
commit it.