[cairo] Server RAID failure and cairo mailing list archives

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Aug 15 11:54:50 PDT 2005

The machine that hosts cairographics.org recently suffered some disk
failure[*].

I had a pre-failure, rsync-based copy of the cairo CVS repository
which I compared against a post-failure version. The differences that
I saw all seem to correlate with recent commits, so I believe the CVS
repository is unaffected by the failure.

The mailing list archives were definitely affected. As of this
morning, several of the index pages from the last few months were
filled with garbage. I ran the command to rebuild the archives from
the giant mbox file that mailman maintains. After the rebuild, the
archive indexes look much better. They're not quite perfect, as can be
seen by the few "No subject" messages with partial contents at the end
of this page:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2005-August/thread.html

I personally don't plan to put much more effort into repairing things
further. But if anyone wants to look at the .mbox files and find the
corrupted messages, we could replace them with known-good messages
from private copies. I can provide known-good messages from my private
copy, and I can also supply the giant .mbox file that mailman uses if
the per-month mbox files it provides on the web page are insufficient
for tracking down the problems.

-Carl

[*] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/sitewranglers/2005-August/001025.html