[cairo] Language bindings doc

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Aug 31 07:46:55 PDT 2005

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:07:33 -0400, John Luke wrote:
> 	In the patterns section of the language bindings docs (at
> http://cairographics.org/manual/bindings-patterns.html) should
> cairo_solid_pattern_t correspond to cairo_create_pattern_rgb? And if so,
> shouldn't there also be one for cairo_create_pattern_rgba? perhaps
> cairo_translucent_pattern_t?

I think that at the time Owen wrote that section that the
cairo_create_pattern_rgb[a] functions didn't exist, and that's the
only reason some of the pattern creation "constructors" are missing.

As far as this type hierarchy goes, I believe there should be no type
distinction between an "rgb" and an "rgba" pattern. Those should just
be two alternate constructors for a single object type. I can't
imagine an advantage that would come from making them distinct.

As far as naming that type, I've intentionally avoided using the word
"solid" in the cairo API, (although we do use "solid" within the
implementation to refer to single-color patterns). I've avoided this
term in the public API because of the possibility that "solid" might
be interpreted as "opaque" rather than the "single, uniform color"
sense that is intended.

But I can't really think of better name than "solid" anyway. We
avoided the problem within cairo's API by simply not having names for
pattern sub-types, but here, obviously some name is necessary.