[cairo] Empty surface creation

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Wed Dec 21 10:14:37 PST 2005

Is this due to X refusing to create a zero-dimensioned window?

If so, what I have found works best is to make the code at the very low
level, where it calls X, change any window dimensions that are zero or
negative to 1. However the rest of the code continues to store and use
the zero or negative dimensions. In effect glitz or whatever really does
support empty surfaces.

This avoids a huge number of tests elsewhere to see if the window
actually exists before passing it's id to X. These tests are slow and
waste code, but more importantly I don't like them because they are
misleading, making anybody examining the code believe they are a common
occurrance, rather than an attempt to work around a defect in X.