[cairo] reference counting vs garbage collection

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Jan 4 15:23:36 PST 2005

Around 18 o'clock on Jan 4, =?UTF-8?B?S3Jpc3RpYW4gSMO4Z3NiZXJn?= wrote:

> Still, for PDF you also want to know when the drawing is finished, since
> you need to write out some tables and indices at the end of the file.  In
> the current PDF backend I'm just handling this in the surface destructor,
> which of course has the problem with closing the FILE you describe.

I think we need some advertised public mechanism to perform this function
aside from as a side effect of destroying the surface.  Whether we extract
the FILE from the core API or not, we still need some method of poking the
driver into finalizing the output.

I like the cairo_surface_close idea quite a lot; if there aren't huge
complaints, I will look into implementing it.

-keith