[cairo] Font metrics under font transformations

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Jan 13 11:44:48 PST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:48:37 +0000, "Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro" wrote:
>   OTOH, a separate transformation matrix for fonts sounds a bit like
> excessive complexity.  You should be able to transform fonts anyway you
> like with the operations: Translate(-x, -y) + <insert font
> transformation here> + Translate(x, y).

Yes, the CTM can handle any transformation that might be put in the
separate font matrix. And the CTM is preferable for things like
rotated fonts, (since then the extents work out conveniently as you
described above).

But there are uses for a separate font transform, (Keith has already
mentioned artificial oblique and compensating for an inverted user
space). There's precedence for this in PostScript. And it's similar
to the way we allow a separate matrix for patterns[*].

-Carl

[*] Currently through cairo_surface_set_matrix, but I want to replace
this with cairo_pattern_set_matrix since it doesn't make much sense to
set a transformation on a target surface.