[cairo] Text support for PDF backend landed

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Jan 17 10:41:25 PST 2005

Hi all,

I just comitted support for text to the PDF backend.  Currently it's a
bit limited in that it only supports TrueType fonts with the freetype
backend and only black text.  This means no red numbers when printing
out your spreadsheets!  Also, there's an encoding problem I haven't yet
fixed that makes Adobe Reader unhappy with the output.  The output is
viewable in the various open source PDF viewers, though.

The bulk of the patch is for creating a TrueType file containing the
subset of glyphs used by the PDF document from a given FT_Face.  The
design should be able to support other font backends, but I haven't yet
looked into that.

There is still a number of loose ends to tie up in the code, but it
should be basically useful (as long as you don't want coloured text).

cheers,
Kristian