[cairo] Re-working cairo_current_path

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Jan 24 11:42:23 PST 2005

Around 14 o'clock on Jan 24, =?UTF-8?B?S3Jpc3RpYW4gSMO4Z3NiZXJn?= wrote:

> The idea was that you'd have the path elements or varying size
> continously laid out in memory.  To get from path element p, you'd do

Right, so the cairo code to construct this structure would have to
carefully allocate just the right size objects and hope the C compiler
doesn't do "odd" things.  Having just experienced the oddities of the ARM
ABI, I'm not looking for another such adventure.

When using C, you can either pretend it's a real language by stepping
around it in places or just accept that C is primitive and do things in
ways which might look a bit less elegant but which follow the letter of
the spec.

> Either I didn't understand your first proposal, or it's just as funky.
> Using doubles for an enumeration value certainly seems unfortunate.

Yeah, that's why I suggested the alternative of using a union containing
the double and a real enum.  But, using a primitive double datatype for the
whole mess has a lot of flavor to me; perhaps it's just because I used to
use FORTRAN though.

-keith