Notes on testing, and: Re: [cairo] Pattern rewrite

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jan 26 13:26:23 PST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:20:29 -0500, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> The overall idea of this rewrite is that we want to pass the source
> pattern all the way down into the backends.

I've read over your description of this rework and it sounds quite
good to me.

As we recently discussed, the embryonic test suite we have in cairo
via "make check" does not yet test any patterns. To help you test
this, I've now committed two new things to cairo/test that I have been
using:

testsvg - A little script to run svg2png on a bunch of images
	  and compare output against a previous run.

imagediff - A little helper program needed by testsvg.

So, what I recommend doing is to download the SVG test suite from
w3c. It's got pretty good coverage. I've been using the older 1.0
suite which can be grabbed from:

http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20011026/rel-20011026.zip

Then, with cairo-0.3.0 (or whatever your standard is), just run:

	testsvg *.svg

Ignore the complaints about missing reference images, then do:

	mv testsvg-output testsvg-reference

Then install your new bits, and rerun:

	testsvg *.svg

Any differing images will be reported, and for each a sort of
"difference image" will be placed in the testsvg-diff directory. The
testsvg-imagelist file will also be generated for convenience in
image that differed.

Long-term, I'd like to move away from the SVG-based testing, (since it
is rather brittle with respect to changes in libsvg that aren't
directly related to cairo), and just get better coverage in the set of
programs in cairo/test. I also plan to fix cairo_test.c to test more
backends than just the image backend.

> Also, this breaks the XCB, glitz and Quartz backends.

Is this in reference just to this initial version of the patch? That
is, were you planning on fixing these before committing, or will you
need help.

I haven't looked closely at the implementation of the patch. Let me
know if you'd like further review.