[cairo] text measuring speed

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 09:15:45 PDT 2005

On 6/11/05, Owen Taylor <otaylor at redhat.com> wrote:
> How would you propose rendering to a PDF file or using native fonts
> on Win32 without having Cairo involved in font handling?

Pango would replace freetype with an equivalent for PDF/Win32 on these
platforms?

> Even for RENDER, server side resources (cached glyphs) are managed
> by Cairo and used at the rendering step to make rendering far more
> efficient than if it was done just as bitmaps.

I see what the problem is now. A cached glyph can either be a bitmap
or a pointer to a native font glyph that gets generated elsewhere.
Cairo definitely has to deal with that.

But this still doesn't explain why Cairo needs to deal with font extents.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com