[cairo] text measuring speed

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Wed Jun 15 09:51:47 PDT 2005

It seems to me that the way FreeType does the hinting is perhaps
desirable and Cairo should copy it.

It would be very useful to know that changing the CTM would result in
the exact same image, only transformed. Thus the CTM should not affect
the font hinting, because the result is not a scaled image.

Therefore, why not have only the font transformation matrix affect the
hinting.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that programs would have to set
the CTM to approximately the default in order to get correct hinting.
However I feel this is how most programs operate anyway and this is thus
not a huge problem.

The advantages are:

A text-formatting program wanting to produce a reduced-size version of
it's output currently has to get all the font metric information at the
actual output size, and then reuse that information to lay out the text
in the smaller page, otherwise the word wrap and justification will
change. This requires two cairo_t's, which can get real annoying if
Pango or some other intermediate library has not been set up to do this.
With this change the same cairo_t can be used to measure and print.

The CTM is completely irrelevant to font metric information and
therefore it can be cached and returned with no transformation,
resulting in (apparently) a great deal of speed up.

The font transform could be limited in scope to avoid questionable
metrics informations. Translation is already disallowed, with this
scheme that would be more consistent. Vertical skew could also be
disallowed, so that rotation must be done using the CTM, eliminating a
lot of mysteries in what the font metric information contains and also
eliminating the growing bounding box problem. I could even see removing
horizontal skew, though that is probably not a good idea.