[cairo] text measuring speed

Robert O'Callahan rocallahan at novell.com
Sun Jun 19 10:00:49 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 09:20 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 6/15/05, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at d2.com> wrote:
> > It seems to me that the way FreeType does the hinting is perhaps
> > desirable and Cairo should copy it.
>
> This sounds like a really good idea to me if I understand it right.
> Cairo has the same problem with thin lines disappearing as FreeType
> does. Why not generate the scene as vectors, run the autohinter over
> everything, including the Cario generated vectors, then rasterize it
> all.

Because it would be incredibly slow, especially for partial window
updates? And because Freetype autohinting changes glyph metrics, so the
analogy here would require complex interaction between cairo rendering
and application layout, which may be fine for some applications but
would not be fine for, say, us.

Rob