[cairo] Mac Tiger Core Image

MenTaLguY mental at rydia.net
Fri Mar 11 19:42:22 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 00:42, Bill Spitzak wrote:

> These images are not showing what you want. They are antialiased.

Turning off alpha-approximation of partial coverage would have been the
first option from my list of ways to solve the problem.

AGG illustrates the second (fill dilation), which still permits alpha
coverage approximation, but does have some deficiencies.

I plugged the page to illustrate the problem for folks who were
following along, rather than to illustrate my particular desired
solution.

> It looks to me like they drew the shapes slightly larger with an
> antialiased outline.

Yes, AGG dilates the fills to minimize the fringing.  Obviously that is
problematic for translucent fills, since there will be a darker area
where they overlap.

> It is possible that this may be easily done in Cairo by doing a stroke
> after filling the shape.

That would work for fully opaque shapes, but not translucent ones.
You'd see darkening where the stroke overlapped the fill.

> The program producing these SVG files may want to be improved to make
> overlapping areas, rather than making them all just barely touch like that.

Generally such touching paths produced by artists are the result of them
using boolean path operations to cut shapes out from one another; adding
an extra overlap factor during the process would quickly turn paths into
mush.

-mental