[cairo] A hidden offset for the Xlib backend

Jost Boekemeier jost2345 at yahoo.de
Sat Mar 12 04:36:42 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 02:21, Peter Dennis Bartok wrote:
> We could use the device offset for Mono, too, [...]
> because we have to expose the matrix through System.Drawing, and the

This is a little bit different from gdk. If I understand it correctly,
you hide the cairo api through system.drawing, so you have (or could
have) complete control.

Imagine a library which accepts surfaces and then draws to them.  What
should the library do if the user has changed the offset since the last
time the library had access to it?  Even worse: The library already
maintains an offset, outside of cairo.

Or imagine a surface cache (glyphs for example); what should it do if
one surface suddenly has an offset?

No, I think the right answer is to create a gdk surface. Its constructor
could take the width, height and x/y offset as arguments.

Jost