[cairo] Re: cairo c++ bindings

Leonard "paniq" Ritter paniq at paniq.org
Sat Nov 19 10:01:33 PST 2005

yeah, i worked on them some more and offered to the gtkmm project, but
they have been making demands on the source code which i had no time
for. i am using my own cairo bindings productively, and i'm happy to
give those away for whoever wants to extend and maintain them.

they should be complete and useable, but maybe not in the form that is
widely accepted. since i have not much time on my hands, i cant do much
but offering them to you.

http://downloads.paniq.org/cairomm.tar.gz

the project builds with scons.

please keep me posted on your decisions.

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 18:39 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> CCing the cairo mailing list.
>
> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 17:08 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Hi. Have you made more progress on this, or does anyone else have
> > opinions? I'd like to have top-quality Cairo C++ bindings to depend on
> > for gtkmm 2.10. Of course, I'd prefer someone else to be the maintainer.

> > > Excellent. I encourage everyone to take a look and think about how the
> > > bindings should look. I don't have time now, but it's something that we
> > > should really have ready for gtkmm 2.10 (probably in 6-month's time). Note
> > > that they probably shouldn't be part of gtkmm itself.
> > >
> > > Some very quick thoughts after a quick look:
> > > - It's desirable to hide the C headers from the C++ headers. Among other
> > > things, that means:
> > >   - using numbers instead of enum values for the C++ enum values, as in
> > > gtkmm.
> > >   - not deriving from the C struct unless it's really necessary.
> > >   - forward-declaring C struct types and using them as little as possible
> > > in headers. #include the definition in the .cc file.
> > > - Non-copyable classes should have a private, undefined, copy constructor.
> > > - The operator * and operator = overrides are a little odd. I'd prefer
> > > explicit conversion, and that's the style used by gtkmm.
> > >

> > > Murray Cumming
> > > murrayc at murrayc.com
> > > www.murrayc.com
> > > www.openismus.com