[cairo] Re: Re: Re: cairo c++ bindings

MenTaLguY mental at rydia.net
Fri Nov 25 12:15:07 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 19:44 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Really? Which platforms? I'm pretty sure any GCC based platform (so
> Linux, *BSD, OS X maybe?) can do it, as can Win32. That covers the major
> ones ... I don't know about commercial UNIXes.

It's more an issue of the standard ABI for the particular OS/processor
combination.  I don't remember offhand which it has been an issue for in
the past (the last time the issue came up for me was a long time ago),
although I want to say Alpha was one of them.

There's also the issue of -- if you have cairo callbacks that can throw
C++ exceptions -- you will need to be _very_ careful in structuring
cairo itself so that throwing an exception will not cause a resource
leak, because any cleanup bits in the C call stack will get ignored as
the stack is unwound.  c.f. the gtkmm FAQ.

http://www.gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/docs/FAQ/html/index.html#id2510943

-mental