[cairo] Revamp of cairographics.org web pages

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Oct 3 21:34:58 PDT 2005

Along with the cairo-1.0.2 announcement, I decided to finally clean up
some things about the cairographics.org website that have been bugging
me ever since we made the switch to MoinMoin.

I've removed all of the tacky, bitmapped icons, (no offense to
MoinMoin folk, but non-cairo-rendered graphics really have no place on
cairo pages).

I also ripped out as much of the in-your-face-wiki-ness as
possible. This included almost everything from the giant footer,
leaving only a "last updated" message if not logged-in and an edit
link if logged-in. (I'd still like to move the login link down to the
footer, but I didn't get to that yet.)

It's quite possible that in all of the gutting, I actually removed
something useful from the site. Some of the functionality, (such as
viewing page diffs), I think I'd like to move to the "edit" page
rather than the main view page. Basically this would include any
useful functionality that is wiki-specific.

Other functionality, (such as any useful page navigation aids), might
actually belong on the main "view" pages.

So basically, I need feedback from people if there's anything missing
now that you would really like to see put back.

Otherwise, enjoy the new cleanliness.

-Carl

PS. I've added a new:

	http://cairographics.org/news

section so that we can have permanent links to the announcements we
make with clean URLs that are not specific to any particular email
archiver. If anyone has made recent announcements to the
cairo-announce list that they would like to have appear there, please
feel free to put them there.

I haven't yet found a perfect way to have the announcements presented
as I would like. I want the made-for-email formatting preserved, (as
it is now), but I'd also like the links to be active (which they
aren't currently). I might just move these to non-wiki pages.

And I might hook things up so that new announcements get posted to the
web pages automatically, (or maybe I won't bother since we don't send
these _that_ often).