[cairo] Re: Permission to use the scarab

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Oct 6 12:38:29 PDT 2005

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:11:08 +0100, Rebecca Smalley wrote:
> I am writing from Linux Format magazine (www.linuxformat.co.uk). We are
> reviewing Cairo (favourably!) in our LXF74 issue, and I wondered if
> someone could give us permission to use the blue scarab motifs from
> your web page.

The scarab artwork is available under a Creative Commons ShareAlike
1.0 license. Detailed information is available here:

	http://cvs.cairographics.org/*checkout*/cairo-artwork/COPYING

If you feel the rights granted in that license are insufficient for
your intended use, please contact the original author (Richard Worth)
directly and ask.

> They would need to be high resolution for print.

What format would you like the artwork in?

The original format is all scalable as it is SVG, for example:

	http://cvs.cairographics.org/*checkout*/cairo-artwork/cairo_logo.svg

(and several other variations: http://cvs.cairographics.org/cairo-artwork/)

Cairo just happens to be a fine tool for converting this artwork into
other formats as well, so just ask if you need anything else and I
would be glad to help.

> Let me know what you think. If you need more information about the
> review or the magazine, please don't hesitate to ask.

I'll look forward to seeing the review. I might mention that the
preferred "long name" of cairo is:

	the cairo graphics library

and the preferred "short name" is:

	cairo

without capitalization. We only prefer "Cairo" over "cairo" when the
name appears at the beginning of a sentence.