[cairo] Re: svg shootout

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Fri Sep 2 13:20:22 PDT 2005

Interesting link. I checked the main page

http://www.linuxrising.org/svg_test/

and it has this bit of information:

"libsvg-cairo is being deprecated in favour of Cairo-enabled librsvg,
but included for completeness and comparison. "

Is this the opinion of the author of the test, or an official position
of the maintainers of libsvg and libsvg-cairo?

I understand that librsvg has a simple and functional API, but I thought
that with libsvg-cairo much more is possible. Am I mistaken? I
considered for example the need to render svg at an angle (rotation),
which is not possible directly with librsvg. Am I wrong to assume that
doing this via libsvg-cairo (using cairo_rotate before you call
svg_cairo_render) will produce better results than simply rendering to a
pixmap via librsvg and then rotating it with affine transformation? I am
not quite sure how it works internally, still studying it, so any
pointers are appreciated.

Regards,
Mauricio