[cairo] Cairomm instal for win32

Jonathon Jongsma jonathon.jongsma at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 14:06:13 PDT 2006

On 4/11/06, Mickael DREAN <mickael.drean at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>  Just to know where i can find cairomm for win32 and which version of
> gtkmm should i use with?
>
> Thanks,
>
> best regards
> Mick

As far as I know, there is no binary package or installer of cairomm
for windows yet.  I imagine it may be bundled with the gtkmm win32
installer when gtkmm 2.10 is released
(http://www.mapr.ucl.ac.be/~gustin/win32_ports/) , but for now you'll
probably need to compile it from source.
The simplest integration with gtkmm (using
Gdk::Drawable::create_cairo_context()) will not be available until
gtkmm 2.10 is released.  However, you can still use cairomm with gtkmm
2.8.x if you revert to the GTK+ and cairo C types for creating the
context and then wrap them with with C++ types.

For example, in gtkmm 2.10 you'll be able to do something like this:
Glib::RefPtr<Gdk::Window> win = widget.get_window();
Cairo::RefPtr<Cairo::Context> cr = win->create_cairo_context();
cr->paint();

But until 2.10 comes out, you'll need to do something like this:
Glib::RefPtr<Gdk::Window> win = widget.get_window();
Cairo::RefPtr<Cairo::Context> cr(gdk_cairo_create(win->gobj()));
cr->paint();

Note that this latter example is essentially what is done internally
by Gdk::Drawable::create_cairo_context().

Jonner