[cairo] Initial tests of cairo's PostScript backend with firefox

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Apr 11 19:26:02 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 17:19 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:

> As Keith recently mentioned the output of each character is an
> independent show command along the lines of:
>
>         603 789 moveto <00> show

This can trivially be replaced by xyshow, xshow or yshow. With a bit
more work, we can replace this with show.

> But getting significant file size savings beyond that will require
> doing something other than type3 fonts to avoid having to embed the
> entire path data for every character into the file, (though obviously,
> it's sometimes a requirement to embed all this data into the output
> file).

We can do much to reduce the size of type3 glyphs by compressing the
postscript a bit (reduce the precision of the position data to shrink
the coordinates, change 'moveto' to 'M' or some such. We could also
generate Type1 fonts directly for fonts which have no bitmaps, the data
matches what we've got already.

And, of course, going directly to raw Type1 font files will provide a
greater savings as we can avoid replicating the font data at each
transform (ick). Still, the glyph data isn't consuming a huge fraction
of the output size.

keith.packard at intel.com