[cairo] Adventures in line widths

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Thu Apr 27 13:10:52 PDT 2006

Actually I was suggesting this a long time ago, but perhaps my
description was not clear. I thought the idea had been considered and
rejected.

I was more concerned with fonts, but the same idea applies. It would be
nice to select a pen, font, source image, etc, and then be able to use
Cairo's transformation matrix to produce scaled, translated, or rotated
paths, without the font changing size or orientation or the pen changing
width. Currently I suspect illustrator-style programs are unable to use
Cairo's transformations except to set up an initial scale between their
graphics and the output, and they then do all the transformations of
their objects themselves.

This is also necessary if Cairo is to do 3D transformations. Otherwise
the only consistent way to do it is to render the pen and font in 3D
somehow, which is complicated and also probably not a desirable effect
(and it could be replicated by drawing a 2D surface and projecting
that). With this a 3D Cairo could be used to draw a wireframe 3D object
with a fixed (ie illustrator-style) pen, and label all the corners with
readable text. Attempting to set the pen or font when a 3D transform is
in effect can either fail, or produce a similar 2D transform by ignoring
the perspective portion of the matrix.

I would also guess this would be much more efficient. Only the
device-space result of the current pen and font need to be kept, and
these only need to be calculated when the pen or font are changed,
rather than recalculated (or invalidated) each time the transformation
changes.

Another advantage is that this is the way OpenGL works, and I think
(though I am not certain) this is also the model used by DirectX and
GDI+. This means translating such programs to Cairo would be much
easier, and also that Cairo may be more able to use hardware designed
for DirectX.

I figured the idea was rejected. The main problem I see is that it is
incompatable with PostScript, and perhaps with PDF? Also there are
workarounds, by either using gsave/grestore calls or by doing the
transforms yourself.

But if you are considering it, I am all for it!