[cairo] Deprecating CAIRO_FORMAT_RGB16_565

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Mon Aug 7 14:19:43 PDT 2006

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:15:15 -0700, Ralph Giles wrote:

> The other case I'd be concerned about is SDL or other framebuffer-
> oriented drawing on embedded devices.

Right. If someone comes up with an actual use for RGB16_565 image
surfaces we can add this back at that point, (and with an actual
complete implementation that time).

But that's not the case we were targeting when we originally added the
format, (and it was naive of me to think the minimal work we did was
sufficient to address it).

>                                       I'm not aware of any actual uses,
> so this perhaps has no moral authority. But if, for example, I were to
> use cairo for a game on the n770, it would be tempting to draw into SDL
> surfaces since maemo isn't supporting a native, gtk-coupled cairo.

Independently, I'm working on convincing the maemo folks to switch to
a native, gtk-coupled cairo. Stay tuned for more cairo-performance
related new here soon...