[cairo] [cairo-announce] cairo release 1.2.2 now available

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Aug 9 10:37:13 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 13:27 +0300, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> BTW, is there any general consensus on whether the cairo Win32
> binaries that are distributed on ftp.gtk.org should use freetype and
> fontconfig or not (once it actually is possible to have pdf but not
> freetype)? Does anyone care, or do those who care build cairo on Win32
> themselves anyway?

IMO, it's better to have binaries without; I can't really imagine
the capability being needed.

 - Any time fontconfig/freetype get used without the user intending
   it will be weird, because there will be too font

 - It's very hard to use them *while* intending it... you can't
   choose the font backend for the toy API. (nor can you chose the
   cairo font backend when using cairo with Pango)

And being able to provide one DLL, without piling
fontconfig/freetype/exim is quite a nice thing.

					- Owen