[cairo] Re: [cairo-commit] configure.in

Daniel Amelang daniel.amelang at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 15:02:02 PST 2006

On 12/1/06, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 15:42 -0500, Dan Amelang wrote:
> >
> > +AC_ARG_ENABLE(some-floating-point,
> > +  AS_HELP_STRING([--disable-some-floating-point],
> > +                 [Disable certain code paths that rely heavily on
> > double precision
> > +                  floating-point calculation. This option can improve
> > +                  performance on systems without a double precision
> > floating-point
> > +                  unit, but might degrade performance on those that
> > do.]), [
> > +if test "x$enableval" = "xno"; then
> > +  # A value of 'no' for $enableval means that they want to disable,
> > which
> > +  # means 'yes' for $disable_some_floating_point.
> > +  disable_some_floating_point=yes
> > +fi
> > +])
>
> Please set disable_some_floating_point=no before AC_ARG_ENABLE.  Avoids
> some Russian Rolette effects ;).

Doh, I knew something would go wrong on my first day of pushing :(

In my defense, though, I did submit this for review to the list a
couple days ago, so I guess you should have complained then :)

So, looking at similar code in configure.in, it looks like the Right
Thing To Do is set the variable to 'no' in the third argument of
AC_ARG_ENABLE. Most variables aren't set before  AC_ARG_ENABLE like
you suggest. Any preference/reason?

BTW, I'm on the cairo-commit list now.

Dan