[cairo] Feedback from the 1.3.4 snapshot

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Dec 2 22:00:59 PST 2006

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 21:01:59 -0800, "Daniel Amelang" wrote:
> This happens like once a week for me, but only on the xlib backend, so
> I figure my X server just like to drag its feet depending on the time
> of day :).

X server performance can very dramatically based on where it decides
to allocate pixmaps, (video memory vs. system memory), and depending
on the operation either choice might be the right choice.

Then X servers have heuristics for migrating these pixmaps back and
forth.

It can all add up to some very unpredictable performance profiles from
X. I'd love it if there were a way for us to lock things down better
so we could get more reliable results from the X server.

(I don't know that this accounts for all the strange results you're
seeing, but it's at least one possible source of
not-reliably-repeatable results from the xlib backend).