[cairo] Plans (and motivation) for moving cairo from CVS to git

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Feb 7 14:02:52 PST 2006

Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 15:59 -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
>> This is one place where Subversion shines - branching and merging are
>> so much easier and faster than with CVS.  If you also use svk, then
>> you can manage both local and remote branches transparently, and even
>> push local branches to the master repo for others to play with.
>
> The nice thing about a fully distributed system is that you can share
> your local branches with others without interacting with the master
> repository at all. This is important in many situations (maybe not for
> cairo). Can svk do that?

Yes, if you setup a local svnserve or Apache instance that is
pointing at your local svk repo, which is just a local subversion
repo...

In the interests of full disclosure, I've not actually done this
myself, but it is just a matter of doing the right configuration...
(waving hands frantically :)

I'll play a bit on my home system tonight to see if I can do this
without substantial pane and post my results...