[cairo] Documentation hosting for cairomm

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 8 06:53:07 PST 2006

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:37:22 -0600, Jonathon Jongsma wrote:

> I've been working on getting some API documentation for cairomm in a
> reasonable state.  Ideally I'd like to have this documentation
> published to the web somewhere so that it can be easily browsed.  Is
> there any space on freedesktop.org that can be used to host this?

Certainly.

The only "hard" part is coming up with a nice clean URL. How about:

	http://cairographics.org/documentation/cairomm [1]

Or we could put bindings as separate chapters of the manual at:

	http://cairographics.org/manual [2]

As for getting things to appear there, you should already have write
access to the web tree via ssh to cairographics.org and shoving files
below /srv/cairo.freedesktop.org/www. But see note [1] below.

-Carl

[1] There's probably a problem with this URL though. I think if you
create a directory of:

	/srv/cairo.freedesktop.org/www/documentation/cairomm

on the server that that URL will work, but the current wiki-served URL
of:

	http://cairographics.org/documentation

will stop working. We can probably fix the apache configuration to
allow this level of wiki and non-wiki intermingling, (which really would be
rather convenient to do).

[2] I didn't put any more of the URL there since I really don't like the
current un-cool URLs that gtk-doc generates. If someone were
interested in fixing those, I would greatly prefer something like:

	http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo_t
	http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo_surface_t

as opposed to the current, ugly:

	http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo-cairo-t.html
	http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo-cairo-surface-t.html

and I've still never looked at the other parts of the organization of
that manual to know if they make sense or not.

While I'm on the subject, (even if not on the Subject:), something
else that I'd really like to have is a web page with the entire manual
in one big file, (as an option), which would make for easier searching
in some cases. Does gtk-doc support that?