[cairo] Windowing System using cairo/glitz, general questions

Kaspar Schleiser schleise at inf.fu-berlin.de
Fri Feb 17 17:00:36 PST 2006

Hello,

I'm trying to develop a windowing system using cairo as its painting
backend. I'm at a very early prototyping stage  ;) , but  perhaps you
could provide me with some insights on how I should glue everything
together.

The idea is to use pure cairo/glitz drawing. I want to use the X-Server
only as graphics-driver with one big (fullscreen) cairo/glitz-window
until EGL is usable with more cards or something better comes up.

As prototype I created an application server that creates a single X
window. For this X window, I create a glitz surface and on that a cairo
surface.
My windows draw directly on that surface, clipped to their rectangle.
That works pretty well for these test windows.
Now I want to ask you what's the best way to have (multiple) other
applications draw on that screen. My Idea is to implement a modified
cairo-meta-surface remote backend that copies the drawing commands or the whole
snapshot via sockets or shared memory to my application server and paint
it there.

What do you think? Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance,
Kaspar