[cairo] Re: Documentation

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Sat Jan 7 07:54:42 PST 2006

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Russell Shaw wrote:
>
>>I spent many hours in making a documentation patch detailing the cairo
>>api and how the porter-duff rendering works, only to have it ignored.
>>Other suggestions for gtk improvements have also been ignored.
>
> Did you file a bug for it?

I posted it on the list and was going to put it in bugzilla, but got
too peeved at the arrogant answers to my questions on how the documentation
build system was behaving.

>>I value internals documentation, but it is non-existant for gtk and
>>pango.
>>
>>When non-existant documentation raises the learning curve to a certain
>>level, it's easier to write your own libs that you can be intimately
>>familiar with and does everything better, faster, and with *far* less
>>but more elegant code.
>
> I'm wondering how your own library is going to do Arabic and
> Indic rendering better than Pango...

I don't need foreign lingo stuff to get my job done, but atleast it is
extensible to handle arbitrary glyphs and run-time rendered and embedded
objects within a text layout (on an X window). The best thing is that i
know everything and can add or change a feature whenever i want. It even
has multiple views so i can type into one window and see the text changing
in other windows. I've read a thick unicode book and know all that's involved,
but just don't know arabic to test it;)