[cairo] Re: Documentation

Russell Shaw rjshaw at netspace.net.au
Tue Jan 10 01:42:11 PST 2006

Carl Worth wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 02:54:42 +1100, Russell Shaw wrote:
>
>>I posted it on the list and was going to put it in bugzilla, but got
>>too peeved at the arrogant answers to my questions on how the documentation
>>build system was behaving.
>
> I hope the documentation build system is not a serious impediment to
> your contributing documentation. The most important valuable aspects of
> contributing documentation should be entirely independent of the build
> system.
>
> Feel free to submit plain text documentation if you get stuck (UTF-8
> (or ASCII) please, but feel free to use the correct symbols for
> mathematical operators, etc). We can always find someone else to
> massage text into the documentation system of the month.

The problems i had with the gtk-doc build system was mainly because
there was no documentation at all about how it worked or how to use
it, and i couldn't get it to process the cairo docs right that i did.
With tons of perl code in it, it couldn't be figured out in detail.
I eventually worked it out, but mysterious build systems increase
the resistance to getting anything useful done. I'm too busy doing
other code to use any cairo or do docs now, which is why it is a
good idea to accept incremental documentation before users disappear.