[cairo] About cairo_show_text and UTF-8...

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:18:55 PST 2006

On 1/11/06, Federico Mena Quintero <federico at ximian.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 08:53 +0800, Mike Emmel wrote:
>
> > I'd say someth on the order of 10-30k i.e a pretty lightweight C object api.
> > A lot of the problem is in the fact you drag in all of glib to get GObject.
>
> Interesting.  How did you come up with those numbers?  What feature set
> do you have in mind for such an object API?

Those number come from abstracting the object managment code from the
ObjectiveC runtime glib/gobject and a few java runtimes. Its about
right.

> The point I'm trying to make is that yes, Glib and Gobject occupy a
> certain amount of shareable code and data, and a per-process
> non-shareable amount of heap.  They are also pretty rich libraries.

Right now to much to be used outside of supporting gtk which is a pity
its a pretty good C object model.

> Maybe the problem with Pango is just that of documentation.  The
> reference docs [1] are pretty complete, but they are definitely not a
> tutorial.  The provided example about Pango+Cairo is hard to find [2].
> And the reference docs certainly don't provide examples about a simple
> "how do I paint some text".  We certainly welcome improvements to that.
> Tell me if you have trouble figuring out how the Pango docs get built.
>

> [1] http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/pango/index.html
> [2] http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/pango/pango-Cairo-Rendering.html#rotated-example

No not a problem I understand how it works. I think there is a real
need for a companion text layout library for cairo It would be nice if
pango/gobject/glib could be thinned down to be that library since
pango has a lot of abilities.

If not then I'm sure over time some other library will be developed
that meets this need.