[cairo] GObject

Mike Emmel mike.emmel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 09:40:12 PST 2006

On 1/12/06, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc at inescporto.pt> wrote:
> Qui, 2006-01-12 às 09:46 -0600, Mike Emmel escreveu:
> [...]
> > I think it does feel some roles well it just that when you leave the
> > gnome environment its tough to sell GObject. No big deal I think pango
> > is a good piece of software I hate that I'm finding myself in a
> > position where I can't use it but thats life.
>
>   You have to realize that glib/gobject != gnome.  Those two libraries
> are just a small fraction of a typical gnome stack.  And look at the
> GStreamer example: it is gobject based, yet they even use it in amarok,
> a KDE program (!)  This should not be such a big deal...  I'm sure you
> can do a better job selling GObject.. ;-)

I'm primarly focused on embedded/ mini install use cases so its a very
very tough sell. I think glib/gobject can be configure for embedded
use. I've done some custom stripping before its possible its just I
don't think custom hacks of the gtk system for embedded use are really
that useful. I think the general consensus is you either can support
the full stack up to gtk or nothing. Thats fine in fact I put a lot of
work into that type of solution it is useful.  I'm not sure I can kill
this thread  but I've  decided that I'm going to redo Xft to run on
cairo. Its not pango by any means but its better then the current text
api and  fills the gap between cairo and pango.

Mike