[cairo] About cairo_show_text and UTF-8...

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Jan 13 08:14:13 PST 2006

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 09:47 -0500, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> > Next version of Pango has support for ATSUI.  On Windows Pango
> > uses Uniscribe for most of the stuff.
>
> Is there a danger that the layout of a document will change depending on
> which platform you are on? That would be bad, wouldn't it?

Almost all two different systems have different resolutions, set
of installed fonts, font rendering libraries or versions of those
libraries, etc, so the layout is going to be different most
probably anyway.  No, I don't think it would be bad.

If you are talking about the complex stuff like justification,
etc, that's another question, but as long as simple shaping
(kerning, positioning, etc) is involved, using the system
libraries is preferred on Windows and Mac.  That makes you get
the same rendering that you get in other native applications....

> Damon

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"