[cairo] Win32/OpenGL

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 07:44:24 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 17:43 +0100, Mirza Hadzic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Windows Vista is likely to "emulate" OpenGL 1.4 (not even 2.0) by
> mapping OpenGL calls to directx. Would it make sense then to use directx
> rather then OpenGL as cairo backend on windows? I have program that will
> use cairo and unfortunate majority of my customers use Windows so I am
> concerned by this issue.

Cairo doesn't use OpenGL as a cairo backend on windows in any normal
case.

Accelerating the Win32 backend via DirectX probably does make sense
eventually; there would be quite a lot of investigation and work
involved there, however.

If you look back through my posts to this list at the beginning of last
year, I think you'll find some discussion of the issue. (Mainly in
the context of deciding to write the current backend directly to
GDI rather than to GDI+.

					Owen