[cairo] ld: Undefined symbol: _compress with cairo 1.2.0 on Mac OS X; cairo 1.1.10 was fine

Ryan Schmidt cairo-2006c at ryandesign.com
Tue Jul 11 03:43:05 PDT 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 12:11, David Turner wrote:

>> Don't think it's my fault.  Cairo doesn't directly use zlib, FreeType
>> does.  In the link command, it just says "-lfontconfig -lfreetype",
>> which makes me believe that "pkg-config --libs freetype2" is to be
>> blamed.
>
> it depends on how FreeType was compiled. By default, it no zlib is
> found by the "configure" script,
> the font engine will include its own copy of the zlib decompression
> routines, and no "-lz" will be
> required at link-time. Another option is to build the library
> without its "gzip" module at all, but
> I doubt that was the case here.
>
> so a missing "-lz" in 'pkg-config --libs freetype2' doesn't
> necessarily means a problem here.

Currently I am using freetype as provided by Mac OS X's X11
environment. Apple provides no pkg-config file for this; /usr/X11R6/
lib/pkgconfig contains only fontconfig.pc, xcursor.pc and xft.pc.

Note again that cairo 1.1.10 compiles without errors, with no other
changes to my environment (IOW, with the same freetype).