[cairo] 1.1.6 to 1.2.0 performance

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Thu Jul 13 07:12:01 PDT 2006

>>>>> "David" == David Turner <dturner at nds.com> writes:

David> How on earth can you get 940 *directories* of fonts. Even the font CDs
David> I've seen only
David> use a dozen directories, and they're packed with hundreds if not
David> thousands of fonts.

Many out each family in its own dir, and even if not man users move
each family into its own dir when installing, to ease the maintenance
headaches if they do not want all font families in the search tree at
all times.

David> I suspect some really horrible thing, like having "/usr/share"
David> in the fontconfig search path,

OTOH, that is also a distinct possibility.  John, can you check that
box for its <dir/> entries?

David> but doesn't stat-ing these 940 directories is going to be
David> a *lot* faster than memory-mapping the
David> cache files that would be within them otherwise ?.

David> I'm assuming that not all of them are going to
David> change a lot, so a single cache in $HOME could
David> be a performance winner.

That is a good point.  I suspect you'd loose the ability to run
fc-cat(1) to grab info about the fonts in a given dir -- something
I got used to using the old, ascii cache files for -- but otherwise
it does seem beneficial.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>