[cairo] PHP to cairo

Mark Dixon mdixon at knowvantage.com
Mon Jul 17 12:49:34 PDT 2006

Would a PHP language binding for cairo need to be developed in C?

Assuming the answer is yes (which would make it impractical for me in the
near term as I'm a solid PHP coder but don't know C), my other thought is
to develop a way for PHP to use cairo by dynamically writing and running a
Perl script (since there is a binding for Perl) that would handle the
interface with cairo and perhaps return a PNG.  It's a clunky idea, but is
anyone aware of a technical reason why it couldn't work?

I am developing apps using PHP for GIS mapping, and while the GD image
library gives me the functionality I need, the quality of the output
doesn't come close to cairo, which is why I'm willing to try just about
anything to allow PHP to work with cairo.

Mark Dixon