[cairo] Problem with rcairo 1.2.0 on Mac OSX 10.4.7

Anne G anne at wjh.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 28 11:53:35 PDT 2006

> Looks like you may have a libTIFF.dynlib _and_ a libtiff.dynlib on
> your system and that is causing the confusion (due to how HFS+ works).

Thank you for looking into that. I looked on my mac with
easy find, I do have libTIFF.dynlib in
/System/Library/Frameworks/...
and I also have libtiff.dynlib,

I changed the /etc/profile like so
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/opt/local/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

that got rid of the libTiff error, on require 'cairo' but I
can't run gtk programs from terminal. So I went to xterm
(X11).  don't know where things are set up, but the path is
different for xterm and for terminal. So I entered the lines
from /etc/profile at the xterm command line and it was able
to require cairo.

I tried to run the program in thread
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/780e621ebfe24e3d/cd4f465c634d53c6?lnk=raot#cd4f465c634d53c6
in xterm and I got the same error as the poster.

ruby gtkex gtkex:26:in `expose': undefined method
`create_cairo_context' for #<Gdk::Window:0x174bd88
ptr=0x17f2118>
         from gtkex:14:in `initialize'
         from gtkex:76

I checked on rb_cairo.h, it is in
/private/opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin8.3.0/rb_cairo.h
  * Ruby Cairo Binding
 *
 * $Author: kou $
 * $Date: 2006/07/01 14:45:55 $

I don't know what  ruby-gnome2-x.x.x/gtk/mkmf.log
refers to.

I reinstalled gnome2, same thing

I will follow that post see if there is some resolution
there. At this point if a PC and a mac are having the same
problem, it may not be installation related?

thank you, glad that I can at least require cairo

anne