[cairo] Where's the bottleneck in using glitz/cairo/librsvg?

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Thu Jun 15 01:28:35 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:50:15AM +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Maybe we could add a render primitive similar to the trapezoid one that
> allows you to send a bunch of spanlines (stored in some compact way).
> That way a non-tesselating software rasterizer can still be fast on
> remote connections.

I'm no expert on graphics, but I've put a bit of research and
development effort into X network performance. :-)

It seems to me that run-length encoding a rasterized image will get you
almost as compact as a bunch of spanlines. I'd think gzip compression
would do as well or better than RLE. If both are true then `ssh -C`
should suffice, rather than introducing a new request.

If a new request is needed I think that gets into the idea Keith has
talked about of a new extension for transferring compressed images to
the server and keeping them compressed there when not in use. I don't
think it would be RENDER-specific.

--Jamey